Domesday Book

(redirected from Domesday survey)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.

Domesday Book

An ancient record of land ownership in England.

Commissioned by William the Conqueror in the year 1085 and finished in 1086, the book is a superb example of thorough and speedy administration, unequaled by any other project undertaken during the Middle Ages. Minute and accurate surveys of all of England were done for the purpose of compiling information essential for levying taxes and enforcing the land tenure system.The work was done by five justices in each county who took a census and listed all the feudal landowners, their Personal Property, and other information. The judges gathered their information by summoning each man and having him give testimony under oath. This is perhaps the earliest use of the inquest procedure in England, and it established the right of the king to require citizens to give information, a foundation of the jury trial.

Domesday was a Saxon word meaning Judgment Day, at the end of time when God will pronounce judgment against all of mankind. The name given to this record may have come from the popular opinion that the inquiry was as thorough as that promised for Judgment Day.

Two volumes of the Domesday Book are still in existence, and they continue to be valuable for historical information about social and economic conditions. They are kept in the Public Record Office in England.

References in periodicals archive ?
The results of the Domesday Survey were compiled into a document that later became known as Domesday Book.
She held onto the land for some time after the conquest although by the time the Domesday survey was taken, after her death, her lands were listed as being in the hands of others.
English Heritage released its first State of the Historic Environment report, described as a modern Domesday survey, today.
For everything to remain in such a natural state seems appropriate in an area that has a mention in the Domesday survey of 1086.
The original estate was noted in the Domesday survey in 1086 and by medieval times was owned by the Cranage family.
The site can be dated to the Domesday survey of 1086 and stands next to the small parish church with wonderful views over the valley - all a short distance from the convenient A417.