Four Courts


Also found in: Wikipedia.

Four Courts

court buildings situated by the River Liffey in Dublin, the present form of which were the work of James Gandon. They were opened in 1796 and seriously damaged in 1922 during the Civil War when many documents, some dating back to the 13th century, were destroyed. The name derives from the fact that the building originally housed the four courts of King's Bench, Exchequer Chamber, Common Pleas and Equity. The site has been extended and now houses a range of courts, including the Supreme Court, the High Court and a District Court as well as court offices and the law library.