From 1837 a jumble of seven buildings in North Shields town centre served as a base for the Tynemouth Guardians of the Poor
, a museum, town hall, mechanics' institute, fire engine garages, chapel, courts, police cells and council rates department.
We have already had a blue plaque placed over the doorway that was once the entrance to the boardroom of the Guardians of the Poor
at the Workhouse, and is now Sandwell General Hospital.
The methodical way the guardians of the poor
of Birmingham went about the exploitation of Key Hill is rather impressive.
The asylum was founded in 1797 by the Guardians of the Poor
as an industrial residence and school for 250 children.
Seaton Holme was bought by the Guardians of the Poor
and became a children's home.
Of the 184 propertyless children, 134 were boys and 50 were girls, suggesting guardians of the poor
preferred male laborers.
Built in 1882, it was originally the home of the South Shields Union Guardians of the Poor
and included a soup kitchen where, pre-social security, a panel of assessors would decide upon hand-outs to any penniless individual who came in from the streets.
The Key Hill site was identified and purchased by the Birmingham General Cemetery Company from the Guardians of the Poor
See Guardians of the Poor
, Committee on Bastardy, 1821-1825, Philadelphia City Archives; Guardians of the Poor
, Alms House Hospital Register of Births, Lying-In Department, Philadelphia Alms House, 6 vols.