Tenants left damage in apt., landlord won't pay security deposit

Ask a Lawyer


Country: United States of America
State: Arizona

I reside in GA but I have a rental property in AZ. The tenants moved out in Sept and left considerable damage and thus I did not return the Security deposit. They are threatening to take the case to court (small Claims I presume). They now live in TX. Here is my question: Will they have to physically return to AZ to file the complaint? And then return Again in 60 days for the trial? I am betting that if this is what they have to do, and then it's not worth their while. Also, if they do go file, would I have to physically go to AZ or could I send a representative on my behalf?


They normally would have to file there yes. You could send an attorney if you wish and not appear.