monarchy

(redirected from The Monarchy)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to The Monarchy: Elizabeth II
See: realm

MONARCHY, government. That form of government in which the sovereign power is entrusted to the hands of a single magistrate. Toull. tit. prel. n. 30. The country governed by a monarch is also called a monarchy.

References in periodicals archive ?
Furthermore, 79 per cent said they are in favour of Britain keeping the monarchy and just 16 per cent said they would like it to become a republic.
The unfortunate example of Nepal, where the monarchy was abolished in 2008, is a case in point.
IF commentators want us to believe that 75% of the UK population supports the monarchy, then, we, the remaining 25%, should have a relative proportion of broadcasting time to express our distaste for this outdated, unelected and unaccountable establishment.
Sydney, June 9 ( ANI ): Australian support for the monarchy has hit a 25-yr high, a new poll has found.
All the European leaders see the monarchy in Morocco as a "source of stability," Meinardus told MAP on the occasion of a seminar on the role of the European Union in promoting democracy in the MENA region.
The monarchy sums it up really and the reason it has been so successful and survived for so long is that it is adaptable, sensitive to public opinion and ready to change in many ways.
Among the fundamental lessons to be learned from the struggle of monarchic survival elsewhere would be the need to turn the monarchy from a rule of fear into a symbol of respect and national unity.
Dubai As thousands gear up to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee this weekend, the monarchy brand has been valued at a massive EeAu44 billion (Dh253.
WALTER Bagehot concluded that "constitutional monarchy always depended on public emotion rather than reason", a sentiment that applies to both letters attacking my criticism of the monarchy (Views of the North, January 14).
So fans wishing to follow the Monarchy can instead indicate they "like" the entry and will receive updates about new pictures and videos through their news feed.
Images showing recent royal events and archive pictures of the Queen, Prince of Wales, Princes William and Harry and other members of the monarchy can be viewed from today.