Treasury Stock

(redirected from Treasury share)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial.

Treasury Stock

Corporate stock that is issued, completely paid for, and reacquired by the corporation at a later point in time.

Treasury stock or shares may be purchased by the corporation, or reacquired through donation, Forfeiture, or some other method. It is then regarded as the Personal Property of the corporation and part of its assets. The corporation can sell the stock for cash or credit, for par value or market value, or upon any terms that it could be sold by a stockholder. Shares that the corporation has not issued in spite of its authority to do so are ordinarily not regarded as treasury shares but are merely unissued shares.

treasury stock

n. stock of a private corporation which was issued and then bought back by the corporation or otherwise reacquired by the corporation. Treasury stock held by a corporation earns dividends for the corporation but the corporation may not cast votes in decision-making the way a regular shareholder would be entitled. (See: stock, share)

References in periodicals archive ?
After the registration of the Treasury Shares with the Finnish Trade Register, Biotie will have 456,032,398 shares in total of which 446,213,948 will be outstanding shares.
Following the transfer of the above treasury shares, the issued share capital
At the same time, the Company transferred 28,039 treasury shares to the
TSX VENTURE:KWG) has agreed to issue 650,000 treasury shares to Freewest Resources Canada Inc.
The Company announces that, following the transfer of 6,114 'A' ordinary shares from its Treasury Shares Account to the Trustee of its Long-Term Incentive Plan, the number of 'A' ordinary shares of [pounds sterling]0.
19, 1998--Developers Diversified Realty Corporation (NYSE:DDR) ("DDR") today announced that all eleven members of its Executive Committee, in combined action, either through the exercise of previously granted stock options or direct purchase of treasury shares have acquired 974,645 shares of DDR common stock raising senior management's ownership to 3.
COPENHAGEN, Denmark--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 19, 1998--Olicom A/S (Nasdaq:OLCMF), a leading global supplier of high-performance networking solutions, today announced that the number of treasury shares held by the Company has decreased.
on the basis that International Northland must spend $1,000,000 on the lands in order to earn an undivided 51 percent interest therein, with the right to acquire the remaining 49 percent interest for 5,000,000 treasury shares of International Northland, subject to an independent valuation and regulatory approval.