Mentioned in ?
References in classic literature ?
As regards its interior life, a large, dim looking-glass used to hang in one of the rooms, and was fabled to contain within its depths all the shapes that had ever been reflected there,--the old Colonel himself, and his many descendants, some in the garb of antique babyhood, and others in the bloom of feminine beauty or manly prime, or saddened with the wrinkles of frosty age.
Some of the briefer articles, which contribute to make up the volume, have likewise been written since my involuntary withdrawal from the toils and honours of public life, and the remainder are gleaned from annuals and magazines, of such antique date, that they have gone round the circle, and come back to novelty again.
Girded round its middle was an antique scabbard; but no sword was in it, and the ancient sheath was eaten up with rust.
The whole resembled the form of the letter T, or some of those ancient dinner-tables, which, arranged on the same principles, may be still seen in the antique Colleges of Oxford or Cambridge.
His little dinners, in the settling of which Lord Henry always assisted him, were noted as much for the careful selection and placing of those invited, as for the exquisite taste shown in the decoration of the table, with its subtle symphonic arrangements of exotic flowers, and embroidered cloths, and antique plate of gold and silver.
The general furniture was profuse, comfortless, antique, and tattered.
It traversed Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey like a flash, rushing through towns with antique names, some of which had streets and car-tracks, but as yet no houses.
It was a dim, old-fashioned chamber, festooned with cobwebs, and besprinkled with antique dust.
There is something antique and patriarchal," observes Captain Bonneville, "in this union of the offices of leader and priest; as there is in many of their customs and manners, which are all strongly imbued with religion.
No more charming face, clear-cut like an antique gem, and delicate in colouring like the petal of a flower, had ever been set on, alas
Hetty, however, had not even noticed his presence yet, for she was giving angry attention to Totty, who insisted on drawing up her feet on to the bench in antique fashion, and thereby threatened to make dusty marks on Hetty's pink-and-white frock.
Not far from these, we must find room for one whose success has been of the wrong kind; the man who should have lingered in the cloisters of a university, digging new treasures out of the Herculaneum of antique lore, diffusing depth and accuracy of literature throughout his country, and thus making for himself a great and quiet fame.
Legal browser ?
- Anti-Defamation League
- antidumping laws
- Antilawyer Movement
- antipollution project
- Antiqua customa
- Antiqua statuta
- antisocial behaviour order
- antitrust act
- antitrust law
- antitrust laws
- any individual
- any person
Full browser ?
- Antiquary barrow
- Antique & Vintage Woods of America
- Antique Advertising Association of America
- Antique Airplane Association
- Antique Americana Folk Art
- Antique and Amusement Photographers International
- Antique and Classic Boat Rendezvous
- Antique and Classic Boat Society
- Antique and Classic Car Club of Canada
- Antique and Classic Snowmobile Club of Canada
- Antique and Collectible Show Promoters Association
- Antique Associates at West Townsend
- Antique Automobile Association
- Antique Automobile Club of America
- Antique Barbed Wire Society
- Antique Boat Museum
- Antique Bottle Collectors of Colorado
- Antique Bottle Collectors of North Florida
- Antique brass
- Antique Brass (color)
- Antique Brass Cup Pull
- Antique Caterpillar Machinery Owners Club
- antique collecting
- Antique Comb Collectors Club International
- antique crown
- antique dealer
- Antique Dealers Association of St Augustine
- Antique Dealers' Association
- Antique Doorknob Collectors of America
- Antique Exercise Equipment
- Antique Fan Collectors Association