consignation


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Idioms.
See: alienation, assignment, consignment, conveyance

CONSIGNATION, contracts. In the civil law, it is a deposit which a debtor makes of the thing that he owes, into the hands of a third person, and under the authority of a court of justice. Poth. Oblig. P. 3, c. 1, art. 8.
     2. Generally the consignation is made with a public officer it is very similar to our practice of paying money into court.
     3. The term to consign, or consignation, is derived from the Latin consignare, which signifies to seal, for it was formerly the practice to seal up the money thus received in a bag or box. Aso & Man. Inst. B. 2, t. 11, c. 1, Sec. 5. See Burge on Sur. 138.

References in periodicals archive ?
Major organization : CAISSE DES DEPOTS ET CONSIGNATIONS
These lead banks are Banque Nationale de Paris, Banque Indosuez and Caisse des Depots et Consignations.
Outremer Telecom's capital, valued at EUR 16,822,988 on May 1, 2001, is 75% owned by DOM local investors, with the remaining 25% belonging to subsidiaries of the Caisse des Depots et Consignations and the Caisse d'Epargne.
It is believed that the president's office, state-owned bank, Caisse des Depots et Consignations, and the Agence des Participations de l'Etat may have prepared a plan to combine Societe Generale SA and Dexia SA.
Mme Ploix, aged 51, was previously Deputy Chief Executive Officer of Caisse des Depots et Consignations -- one of the largest and oldest state-owned financial institutions in France, (total balance sheet: FF.
is an indirect subsidiary of Caisse des Depots et Consignations (CDC).
He began his career with Caisse des Depots et Consignations, where he was in charge of Foreign Exchange and Eurocredit operations.
This consultation relates to the operation and maintenance of thermal and climatic facilities and the production of cold and production of emergency power buildings of the Caisse des Depots et Consignations executive retreats located in Angers.
The three governments and Dexia's board have also agreed on a three-step plan for the bank that includes the nationalisation of the Belgian unit, the plan to associate Dexia's French local public finance unit to French state-owned financial institution, Caisse des Depots et Consignations and Banque Postale, the banking arm of state-owned mail service, and the sale of the Luxembourg unit to a group of investors that include the Luxembourg government, said Dexia's board.
Deployed within large corporations such as AXA, Essilor, Caisse des Depots et Consignations, L'Oreal, Keymage 2.
He is a deputy general director at the Caisse des Depots et des Consignations, and would replace Hubert Reynier who is stepping down from office.
3]ts et consignations is one of Accor's major shareholders.