References in classic literature ?
He would delight them equally by his anecdotes of witchcraft, and of the direful omens and portentous sights and sounds in the air, which prevailed in the earlier times of Connecticut; and would frighten them woefully with speculations upon comets and shooting stars; and with the alarming fact that the world did absolutely turn round, and that they were half the time topsy-turvy!
They had been accustomed to each other's appearance, and to the gradual operation of hunger and hardship upon their frames, but the change in the looks of these men, since last they parted, was a type of the famine and desolation of the land; and they now began to indulge the horrible presentiment that they would all starve together, or be reduced to the direful alternative of casting lots!
While you diligently pursued that favorite phantom of yours, called profits, and moralized about that favorite fetich of yours, called competition, even greater and more direful things have been accomplished by combination.
Hattersley, you know, has not yet fulfilled his direful threat of throwing his precious person away on the first old maid that chose to evince a tenderness for him; but he still preserves a resolute determination to see himself a married man before the year is out.
First, Jemmy Tweedle felt on his hinder head the direful bone.
This he took in good part, and was really pleased, nodding his head with direful foreknowledge and mystery, until George Leach, the erstwhile cabin- boy, ventured some rough pleasantry on the subject.
All these dark and direful ceremonies being at length completed, the table was put aside, the chair of state removed, the sceptre locked up in its usual cupboard, the doors of communication between the three cellars thrown freely open, and the 'Prentice Knights resigned themselves to merriment.
But, less inexorable than iron, steal, and brass, it brought its varying seasons even into that wilderness of smoke and brick, and made the only stand that ever was made in the place against its direful uniformity.
The Balts fought on through MUD and gore; In direful ZMUDZ they cursed and swore.
The editors acknowledged receipt of "a pamphlet from Charleston of 48 pages," James Hamilton's Negro Plot: An Account of the Late Intended Insurrection among a Portion of the Blacks of the City of Charleston, South Carolina (135), and the newspaper editors felt that this was "a plot, which threatened the most direful consequences to the innocent and unsuspecting whites.
While a black curtain across the central entrance confirms that this is where Tragedy makes her way on to the stage in the induction, in the first mid-play dumb show Tragedy as presenter, says "And in these sable Curtains shut we vp / The Comicke entrance to our direful play" (C4v).
I always say there is something direful in that sound' - she writes in Emma).
Legal browser ?
- direct to
- direct toward one object
- directed against
- directed verdict
- directing agency
- directing head
- directing power
- direction post
- direction to imprison
- directly affected by the outcome of a controversy
- directly after
- Director of Consumer Affairs
- Director of Public Prosecutions
- Director of the mint
- Dirimant impediments
- disability discrimination
- Disability payments
- Disability Rights Commission
- disaccord with
Full browser ?
- Directx 10
- Directx 10.1
- DirectX 11
- DirectX 7
- DirectX 7.0
- Directx 7.0a
- DirectX 8
- DirectX 8.0
- Directx 8.1
- Directx 9
- DirectX 9.0
- Directx 9.0a
- DirectX 9.0b
- Directx 9.0c
- DirectX 9c
- DirectX Happy Uninstall
- DirectX Instrument
- DirectX Media Object
- DirectX Standard Annotations and Semantics
- DirectX Texture Compression
- DirectX Video Acceleration
- Direito Internacional Privado
- Direito Processual Civil
- Direitos de Propriedade Intelectual
- Direitos Humanos e Desenvolvimento
- Direkt Anlage Bank, Germany
- Direkt in Die Tonne
- Direkt Rabatt
- Direkt Schalt Getriebe
- Direkt-Anlage in Österreich
- Direkt-Anlage Österreich
- Direkte Bundessteuer
- Direktion für Entwicklung Und Zusammenarbeit
- Direktorat Jenderal Cipta Karya
- Direktorat Jenderal Kekayaan Negara
- Direktorat Jenderal Pajak
- Direktorat Jenderal Pengelolaan Utang
- Direktorat Jenderal Perbendaharaan
- Direktorat Jenderal Pertambangan Umum
- Direktorat Pengelolaan Surat Utang Negara
- Direktorat Vulkanologi dan Mitigasi Bencana Geologi
- Direktoratet for brann- og eksplosjonsvern
- Direktoratet for Forvaltning Og Ikt
- Direktoratet for Samfunnsikkerhet Og Beredskap
- Direktoren der Landesmedienanstalten