Mentioned in ?
References in classic literature ?
He helped her in many ways, proving himself a true friend, and Jo was happy, for while her pen lay idle, she was learning other lessons besides German, and laying a foundation for the sensation story of her own life.
With a brief sketch, therefore, of the circumstances amid which the foundation of the house was laid, and a rapid glimpse at its quaint exterior, as it grew black in the prevalent east wind,--pointing, too, here and there, at some spot of more verdant mossiness on its roof and walls,--we shall commence the real action of our tale at an epoch not very remote from the present day.
Who has not seen in imagination, when looking into the sunset sky, the gardens of the Hesperides, and the foundation of all those fables?
You don't reckon it's going to take thirty-seven years to dig out through a DIRT foundation, do you?
Mary gave him a brand-new "Barlow" knife worth twelve and a half cents; and the convulsion of delight that swept his system shook him to his foundations.
In the same manner did Miss Dearborn lay what she fondly imagined to be foundations in the infant mind.
We will walk to the farm at the edge of the down, and see how the children go on; we will walk to Sir John's new plantations at Barton Cross, and the Abbeyland; and we will often go the old ruins of the Priory, and try to trace its foundations as far as we are told they once reached.
The wondrous shock of feeling had come like the earthquake which shook the foundations of Paul and Silas's prison; it had opened the doors of the soul's cell and loosed its bands--it had wakened it out of its sleep, whence it sprang trembling, listening, aghast; then vibrated thrice a cry on my startled ear, and in my quaking heart and through my spirit, which neither feared nor shook, but exulted as if in joy over the success of one effort it had been privileged to make, independent of the cumbrous body.
She might as well have attempted to move the house from its foundations.
But on other moonlight nights, when the sadness and the silence have touched me in a different way--have affected me with something as like a sorrowful sense of peace, as any emotion that had pain for its foundations could--I have imagined her as coming to me in my cell, and leading me out into the freedom beyond the fortress.
Within the first week of my passion, I bought four sumptuous waistcoats - not for myself; I had no pride in them; for Dora - and took to wearing straw-coloured kid gloves in the streets, and laid the foundations of all the corns I have ever had.
Hell heard th' unsufferable noise, Hell saw Heav'n ruining from Heav'n and would have fled Affrighted; but strict Fate had cast too deep Her dark foundations, and too fast had bound.
Legal browser ?
- foster child
- foster hope
- foster parents
- foul invective
- foul language
- foul play
- foul talk
- Found guilty of running red lights in New York City
- Found not guilty of DUI, still on driving records
- found wanting
- Found worm in food
- foundation of a suit
- Foundations of U.S. Law
- founded in confidence
- founded in law
- founded on
- founded on circumstances
- founded on fact
- founded on fiction
- founding father
- Four Corners
- four corners of an instrument
- Four Courts
- four freedoms
- fourteenth amendment
- Fourth Amendment
- fourth driving offense
Full browser ?
- Foundation Year Programme
- Foundation, Machine
- Foundational Model of Anatomy
- Foundations and Applications of Possibility Theory
- Foundations and Applications of Spatio-Temporal Reasoning
- Foundations and Donors Interested in Catholic Activities
- Foundations and Materials
- Foundations for Farming
- Foundations for Home Ownership
- Foundations for People Development
- Foundations in Area Studies for Translators
- Foundations in Continuing Education
- Foundations in Herbal Medicine
- Foundations of Advanced 3D Information Visualisation
- Foundations of Aspect Languages
- Foundations of Buildings and Structures
- Foundations of Clinical Practice
- Foundations of Clinical Terminologies and Classifications
- Foundations of Complex Financial Institutions
- Foundations of Component Based Systems
- Foundations of Computation Theory
- Foundations of Computational Intelligence
- Foundations of Computational Linguistics
- Foundations of Computational Mathematics
- Foundations Of Computer Science
- Foundations of Computer Science Group
- Foundations of Computer Security
- Foundations Of Computer-Aided Process Design
- Foundations of Computer-Automated Process Operations
- Foundations of Coordination Languages and Software Architectures
- Foundations of Data Organization and Algorithms
- Foundations of Digital Games
- Foundations of Distributed Systems