Mentioned in ?
References in classic literature ?
The king's mandate to stay the New England persecutors was effectual in preventing further martyrdoms; but the colonial authorities, trusting in the remoteness of their situation, and perhaps in the supposed instability of the royal government, shortly renewed their severities in all other respects.
Many, who thought themselves more pious than their neighbors, contended that, if Providence had ordained them to die of the small-pox, it was sinful to aim at preventing it.
They use them as bludgeons for preventing the free expression of Beauty in new forms.
Hetty's fear was allayed by and by, when she found that the coachman made no further allusion to her personal concerns; but it still had the effect of preventing her from asking him what were the places on the road to Windsor.
It was Antimachus who had been foremost in preventing Helen's being restored to Menelaus, for he was largely bribed by Alexandrus; and now Agamemnon took his two sons, both in the same chariot, trying to bring their horses to a stand--for they had lost hold of the reins and the horses were mad with fear.
Indeed, their conduct, especially in preventing him from returning into the valley, was absolutely unaccountable to him; and added to everything else, was the bitter reflection, that the old sailor, after all, might possibly be deceiving him.
I avoided the creature; a certain sense of shame, and the remembrance of my former deed of cruelty, preventing me from physically abusing it.
All this time Benjamin sat, with his muscles fixed, his mouth shut, and his hands clinching the rushes which he had seized in the confusion of the moment and which, as he held fast, like a true seaman, had been the means of preventing his body from rising again to the surface.
For there is more than time enough for my cousin to ride twice as far as she ever goes," said he, "and you have been promoting her comfort by preventing her from setting off half an hour sooner: clouds are now coming up, and she will not suffer from the heat as she would have done then.
D'Artagnan shut himself up, ate no dinner, closed his door to everybody, and, with a lighted lamp, and a loaded pistol on the table, he watched all night, ruminating upon the means of preventing these lovely crowns, which from the coffers of the king had passed into his coffers, from passing from his coffers into the pockets of any thief whatever.
Strong neck muscles play a vital role in preventing injury during tackling or blocking drills where inadvertent headfirst contact is possible.
The Educator's Guide To Preventing And Solving Discipline Problems
Legal browser ?
- prevailing attitudes
- prevailing conditions
- prevailing form
- prevailing idea
- Prevailing Party
- prevailing standards
- prevailing style
- prevent crime
- prevent from being discovered
- prevent from being seen
- prevent offenses against the state
- prevent publication
- prevent temporarily
- prevention of accomplishment
- prevention of congressional action
- prevention of waste
- preventive custody
- Preventive Detention
- preventive measure
- preventive measures
- previous consideration
- previous deliberation
- previous design
- previously called
- previously in mind
- previously named
- previously referred to
- previously specified
- prey on the mind
- prey upon
Full browser ?
- Prevented Unwanted Pets
- Preventer bolts
- Preventer stay
- Preventie Beleid Zware Ongevallen
- Preventie en Gezondheid
- Preventieassistenten voor de Handelswijken
- Preventing Accidents Concerns Everyone
- Preventing and Fighting Hydrological Disasters
- Preventing Violence Against Women
- Preventing Violence in the Home
- Preventing Violent Extremism
- Preventing Youth Offending Project
- Prevention (medical)
- Prevention Action Sante Travail pour les Transgenders
- Prevention Against Sexual Assault
- Prevention and Community Health
- Prevention and Compliance
- Prevention and Control of Emerging and Re Emerging Infectious Diseases
- Prevention and Detection of Corporate Fraud
- Prevention and Early Intervention
- Prevention and Early Intervention Programme
- Prevention and Education-Child Abuse and Neglect
- Prevention and Elimination of Bonded Labour in South Asia
- Prevention and Management of Aggressive Behavior
- Prevention and Management of Disruptive Behavior
- Prevention and Methodology Training
- Prevention and Mitigation of Fire Hazards
- Prevention and Observation of Surgical End Points
- Prevention and Restoration
- Prevention as a Cure