Mentioned in ?
References in classic literature ?
Pennant has engraved a view of the famous Dun-Dornadilla in Glenelg; and there are many others, all of them built after a peculiar mode of architecture, which argues a people in the most primitive state of society.
A roof, Richard contended, was a part of the edifice that the ancients always endeavored to conceal, it being an excrescence in architecture that was only to be tolerated on account of its usefulness.
But a man has no more to do with the style of architecture of his house than a tortoise with that of its shell: nor need the soldier be so idle as to try to paint the precise color of his virtue on his standard.
Every age had left on them its imprint; a bit of architecture with which was bound up the remembrance of some terrible event, some bloody adventure.
Of course there can be no exact parallel between arts so different as architecture and poetic composition: But certainly in the poetry of our day also, though it has been in some instances powerfully initiative and original, there is great scholarship, a large comparative acquaintance with the poetic methods of earlier workmen, and a very subtle intelligence of their charm.
You are forty feet under ground, and in the midst of a perfect wilderness of tall, slender, granite columns, of Byzantine architecture.
This chapel, quite new, having been built only six years, was entirely in that charming taste of delicate architecture, of marvellous sculpture, of fine and deep chasing, which marks with us the end of the Gothic era, and which is perpetuated to about the middle of the sixteenth century in the fairylike fancies of the Renaissance.
Dejah Thoris and I then fell to examining the architecture and decorations of the beautiful chambers of the building we were occupying.
The custom of making houses and tombs in the living rock," says Heeren in his Researches on the Ethiopians, "determined very naturally the principal character of the Nubian Egyptian architecture to the colossal form which it assumed.
To make it fair, Ruskin had relit the seven lamps of architecture, and written the seven labours of Hercules; for these windows through a whole youth Burne Jones had worshipped painted glass at Oxford, and to breathe romance into these frescos had Rossetti been born, and Dante born again.
Moreover, every subject that was of interest to Vronsky, she studied in books and special journals, so that he often went straight to her with questions relating to agriculture or architecture, sometimes even with questions relating to horse-breeding or sport.
The RATHHAUS, or municipal building, is of the quaintest and most picturesque Middle-Age architecture.
Legal browser ?
- arbitrate terms
- Arbitrium est judicium
- Arbor consanguinitatis
- Arches court
- Architect of the Capitol
- architectural monument
- Arctic, Legal Status of
- ardent admirer
- ardent champion of change
- ardent impulse
- area of disagreement
- area of education
- area of learning
- Argentum album
Full browser ?
- Architecture Using RAM
- Architecture Valorisation Construction
- Architecture Verification
- Architecture Verification Test
- Architecture Verification Test Report
- Architecture Ville et Territoire
- Architecture with Key Expansion Unit
- Architecture Working Group
- Architecture X Construction
- Architecture Yves Janet
- Architecture, Art and Planning
- Architecture, Bâches, Chapiteaux, Cirques, Structures
- Architecture, Engineering and Construction
- Architecture, Engineering, Construction and Owner-operated
- Architecture, Engineering, Construction, Owner Operator
- Architecture, Engineering, Consulting, Operations, and Maintenance
- Architecture, Museum of
- Architecture, Planning and Landscape Information Gateway
- Architecture, Property Planning and Fine Arts
- Architecture, Science and Technology
- Architecture, Urbanisme, Patrimoine
- Architecture, Urbanisme, Société
- Architecture, Wood and Civil Engineering
- Architecture-Based Regression Testing
- Architecture-Based Software Development
- Architecture-Centered Software Project Planning
- Architecture-Centric Project Planning
- Architecture-driven modernization
- Architecture-Engineering-Construction Extensible Markup Language
- Architectures and Compilers for Embedded Systems
- Architectures and Framework
- Architectures and Mechanisms for Language Processing
- Architectures for Integrated Knowledge-Manipulation Systems
- Architectures of Networks of Services
- Architectures, Operations, Networks & Space
- Architectures, Systèmes et Réseaux
- Architectutral Window
- Architectuur International Rotterdam
- Architectuurcentrum Amsterdam
- Architectuurcentrum Eindhoven
- Architectuurcentrum Nijmegen
- Architektenkammer Nordrhein-Westfalen
- Architektur + Wettbewerbe
- Architektur und Tirol
- Architektur, Stadtplanung, Landschaftsplanung
- Architekturzentrum Wien
- Architeuthis dux
- Architeuthis hartingii
- Architeuthis japonica
- Architeuthis kirkii