sediment

(redirected from Bedload)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Bedload: dissolved load, Suspended load
See: alluvion
References in periodicals archive ?
FA1 is interpreted as a braided fluvial system by coarse grained facies, sedimentation of bedload bedforms and amalgamated channel systems.
This may be related to a preferential predation against larger clams and/or a dispersal of clams through bedload transport earlier in the season.
These areas represent transition zones from debris flows to bedload transport and are very important to predict the flow process at the outlet of the basin.
30%) transits these river systems annually, dominantly transported as suspended sediment load (95%), with the remaining 5% transported as bedload.
Poor state of preservation or lack of bedload facies suggests predominance of slope processes over fluvial ones in the upper valley reaches, while the increasing number and relative height of terraces appears to imply tectonic control.
In the relatively shallow (generally less than 100 m) Middle Estuary, bedload reworking by bottom currents is the main process and precludes the deposition of Holocene fine-grained sediments.
They were first noted by Butler (1950) who suggested that the sediments were laid down in the Quaternary during arid periods when ample coarse sediment bedload was available from catchments denuded of vegetation.
Sandstone of the Chinji Formation was most probably deposited by mixed-load rivers, which transported fine suspended sediment as well as significant bedload, whereas the floodplain deposits of the Chinji Formation seem to be deposited by suspended-load rivers.
The transport of suspended matter was studied with the use of two types of sediment traps to quantify the horizontal (both shoreward and seaward) resuspended and bedload sediment fluxes.
A model of two-phase bedload transport in an Oregon Coast Range stream", Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 7, (1982) 517-527.
An interconnected system of tidal channels in Bahia Blanca estuary, Argentina: an evaluation of bedload sediment transport through acoustic methods
Studies focused on this species suggest that the polychaete plays an important role in the hydrodynamics of the Mar Chiquita coastal lagoon by affecting the bedload transport and deposition of the sediment entering the system (Schwindt et al.