Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
The Palm Beach County supervisor of elections and the canvassing board just threw up their hands and said we don't know what to do.
Visiting statesmen" from both parties descended on the three Southern states in question during the weeks that followed, to witness the tabulation of the vote by the state canvassing boards, which for all three states were in Republican hands, and perhaps to find a way to influence the outcome.
168(3)(c), because if the canvassing board "reject[ed] a number of legal votes sufficient to change or place in doubt the result of the election" the court should not defer to its decision.
The protest procedure for all of these offices, however, requires that candidates challenge the vote tallies before the relevant county canvassing board.
The trial judge concluded that, absent an abuse of discretion by the canvassing board, he could not order a manual recount (Gore v.
166) ("the Manual Recount Statute") create an unconstitutional two-tiered system for counting votes by allowing a candidate to seek, and by allowing a county canvassing board the absolute discretion to grant, manual recounts to reconstruct "undervotes" only in heavily populated counties where the candidate received a disproportionate share of the vote, thus diluting and debasing the vote of those who voted in counties that favored the candidate's opponent where no manual recount would be conducted.
And the same House staffers who stormed the canvassing board to stop the recount in Miami-Dade are now storming into the administration.
Burton, chair of the Palm Beach County Canvassing Board, who spoke about "The Presidential Election Spotlight.
She refused to extend the deadline to allow time for the manual recounts requested by the Gore campaign, refused requests by Broward and Palm Beach counties to have their manual recount results included in the statewide certification after the deadline, issued a ruling questioning the legality of such recounts that temporarily delayed them from proceeding, and refused to grant an extra two hours to Palm Beach County to meet the extended deadline of November 26 mandated by the Florida Supreme Court, or to include any of the recount results the Palm Beach canvassing board had achieved so far.
They did, however, think that the Republicans owed them one on the recount, and thus were emboldened to pressure canvassing board officials in Broward and Miami-Dade counties to run a hand recount that paid ever-greater homage to dimpled chads.
In fact, Herald editors had been preparing for this moment since the day before Thanksgiving, when the Miami-Dade canvassing board voted to forgo a hand count.
But the county's election canvassing board said there was no way to complete the giant task of hand counting nearly 700,000 ballots by the deadline set by Florida's Supreme Court.
Legal browser ?
- Cannon shot
- cannot pay rent
- cannot pay ticket, no money
- canon law
- Canon Law Society of America
- canon of laws
- Canons of Construction
- Canons of Ethics
- canons regarding securities
- Canvassing Board
- capable of being adjudged invalid
- capable of being adjudged void
- capable of being annulled
- capable of being appeased
- capable of being bounded
- capable of being completed
- capable of being concluded
- capable of being conditioned
- capable of being decided by a court
- capable of being declared ineffectual
- capable of being declared void
- capable of being deducted
- capable of being demonstrated
- capable of being divided
- capable of being done
- capable of being ended
- capable of being examined
- capable of being exchanged
- capable of being figured out
- capable of being fixed
- capable of being inhabited
- capable of being limited
Full browser ?
- Canvassing Board
- Canvey Island Football Club
- Canvey Island Independent Party
- CanWest Global Communications Corp.
- CanWest MediaWorks, Inc.
- CanWest News Service
- Canyon Bass Club of San Marcos
- canyon bench
- Canyon Country Ecosystems Research Site
- Canyon Country Little League
- Canyon County
- Canyon County, ID
- Canyon County, Idaho