oratory

(redirected from Congregation of the Oratory)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
References in periodicals archive ?
Ignatius of Loyola in 1540 and its church, the Gesu, was already built (it was begun by Vignola in 1568 and seen to completion by della Porra in 1575) (9) Similarly, the Congregation of the Oratory led by San Filippo Neri had been given Santa Maria in Valicella in 1575, which was substantially rebuilt by Martino Longhi in 1582 and subsequently referred to as the Chiesa Nuova.
Philip Neri's Congregation of the Oratory formally began in 1575.

Full browser ?