Criminal charge filed to collect civil judgment

Ask a Lawyerwhat's this?


Country: United States of America
State: Alabama

I was sued in a civil suit and lost. Once they saw I could not pay the civil suit they then filed a criminal charge against me and I had to pay or go to jail. It appears they filed a criminal charge against me to collect a civil judgment. What can I do?


They are still free to file civilly and criminally; they are two separate proceedings.
These questions and answers are provided by ©2000 - 2007 by, Inc.