Doctors commons

DOCTORS COMMONS. A building in London used for a college of civilians. Here the judge of the court of arches, the judge of the admiralty, and the judge of the court of Canterbury, with other eminent civilians, reside. Commons signifies, in old English, pittance or allowance; because it is meant in common among societies, as Universities, Inns of Courts, Doctors Commons, &c. The Latin word is, demensum a demetiendo; dividing every one his part Minsheu. It is called Doctors Commons, because the persons residing there live in a collegiate commoning together.

References in periodicals archive ?
Prior to, and to some degree even after, the Matrimonial Causes Act of 1857, one of the strangest of those anomalies was that marriage law and law of nations were unified in the practice of the civil lawyers who resided in the Doctors Commons. Historians of international law in England have largely ignored the fact that the lawyers who form the subject of their study were mainly employed, prior to the twentieth century, in the pursuit of ecclesiastical law, and particularly marriage law, while international law was a second string to their bows.
A period town house at Northleach, Doctors Commons House, has an unusual courtyard garden and terraced kitchen gardens, all private and secluded.