Friend borrowed car and ruined it

Ask a Lawyerwhat's this?


Country: United States of America
State: West Virginia

My friend purchased a vehicle in May 2004. As per arrangement the vehicle was titled and insured in his name along with the financing through the bank. I was given the car under the agreement that I would be responsible for the payments, and insurance every month until loan was paid in full. We had a paper stating this signed by a notary. As of September 28 2005 I had kept my end of the agreement. On September 29, 2005 my friend ran into some problems and destroyed his vehicle, he then decides he is taking the one I have been paying for. Now he has ruined the motor and has to pay $5,000 to get it replaced. My question is do I have a good enough case to get what I paid into the car back, around $3500 not including the insurance payments I made.


Yes-Based on what you say here, you could probably file suit against him (or at least threaten to do so) in small claims court or in regular court; filing in small claims court is easier and requires no could try to collect all of the costs and damages that you suffered due to his behavior.
These questions and answers are provided by ©2000 - 2007 by, Inc.