Friend put his name on bank acct., now friend is forging stolen checks

Ask a Lawyerwhat's this?


Country: United States of America
State: Illinois

About 6 months ago a friend of mine put me on his checking account so that I could cash my paycheck. Since then he and I don't live together anymore and I opened my own personal account October 27 2005in only my name. They are both at the same bank, but he is not on my account. I got a letter in the mail today saying that he forged some stolen checks on October 28th on the account that my name is still on and because there isn't money in his account to cover it the bank is going to take money out of my account to cover it. At least 2400.00 so far. We are not related and he has no access to my new account are they allowed to take my money if I am not a part of this? Can I be held liable for any of this? How do I get them to take the permanent hold off my money?


Your account agreement may allow it but based on what you say here, you could probably try to file suit against them (or at least threaten to do so)in small claims court or in regular court; filing in small claims court is easier and requires no could try to collect all of the costs and damages that you suffered due to their behavior.
These questions and answers are provided by ©2000 - 2007 by, Inc.