Problems with vehicle tags

Ask a Lawyerwhat's this?


Country: South Africa
State: All States/Provinces

On February 2003 I purchased a Honda Civic. I was stopped by police who did a check on the vehicle. They found missing Tags and enquired as to their whereabouts. I then informed them that I had bought the car as is. The dealer informed me that as the vehicle was a registered one there would be no problem and all should be in order. He recommended that I take the vehicle to the Police Clearance Department so that I would not have the same problem in the future. The vehicle was impounded on the basis that the engine and chassis numbers were tampered with.Inspector of the police repeatedly told me that the vehicle will not be released ever. On his information I went to the bank manager that financed for the purchase of the vehicle and informed him about the stopping of paying the installments as I would be paying for a car that is not in my possession.14 months later I received a letter from the police stating that the vehicle should be de-registered as a build up (CODE 3) vehicle as it was a written off by Honda Insurance due to an accident. The vehicle was substantially damaged as a result of the removal and stripping of parts off the vehicle whilst in the custody and of the Police Services. The bank has transferred the vehicle from to a storage. The dealer will not give my deposit back as he wants to claim a roll back. He demands this on the basis that he originally settled with the bank. I feel the deal/contract with the bank should be cancelled, as I will be paying for an overpriced car (CODE 3) that I have barely been in possession of.


Based on what you say here, you could probably file suit against them (or at least threaten to do so) in small claims court or in regular court; filing in small claims court is easier and requires no could try to collect all of the costs and damages that you suffered due to their behavior... You may also report them to your state attorney general's office.
These questions and answers are provided by ©2000 - 2007 by, Inc.
Full browser ?