References in periodicals archive ?
one trained as a quadroon become over night a--Beaurepas" (Paul
in the negro brain, which in the quadroon is only three ounces below the
In an effort to demystify the "strange world" of the American "quadroon," mixed-race women of color thought to be one-quarter African, the author disentangles these women from their symbolic function as racially and sexually exotic, promiscuous, and materialistic.
By contrast, Emily Clark's thorough and illuminating The Strange History of the American Quadroon precisely situates the appearance of the quadroon figure in the Atlantic world both politically and geographically.
Men, women, children, Northerners, Southerners, slaves, slave owners, bounty catchers, legislators, farmers--married and unmarried, deeply religious and lacking faith, and of various ethnic parentage (mulattoes, quadroons, octoroons)--all leap into the narrative, shedding light on the evils wrought by slavery.
Aditya played deep lobs and excelled at the net quadroon. After taking a 14-7 lead in the second, there was no stopping Aditya who romped home into the final where he will take on Leon De Souza who scored a hard-fought 22-20, 21-17 victory to upset second seed Jay Deshpande in the semifinal.
Offspring of a so-called quadroon and a white man would, in Jefferson's thinking, make them equal to whites.
(9) His mother was Ross's mistress, described as formerly a quadroon slave and freed by Ross before their children were born.
The 1890 Census included categories for racial mixtures such as quadroon (one-fourth black) and octoroon (one-eighth black).
A century ago, the nation saw itself in a range of hues: The 1890 Census included categories for racial mixtures such as quadroon (one-fourth black) and octoroon (one-eighth black).
By definition, this category included free persons of any degree of African ancestry and of mixed African and European ancestry and was classified as mulatto, quadroon, octoroon, sambo, and so on.
Legal browser ?
- putative father
- Putative marriage
- Putting in fear
- Putzel, Henry, Jr.
- Quadriennium utile
- Quae ab hostibus capiuntur
- Quae ad unum finem loquuta sunt; non debent ad alium detorqueri
- Quae cohaerent personae a persona separari nequeunt
- Quae communi legi derogant stricte interpretantur
- Quae contra rationem juris introducta sunt
- Quae est eadem
- Quae in auria acta sunt rite agi praesummuntur
- Quae in partes dividi nequeunt solida
- Quae incontinenti vel certo fiunt inesse videntur
- Quae inter alios acta sunt nemini nocere debent
- Quae malasunt inchoata in principio vex bono peragantur exitu
- Quae non valeant singula
- Quae praeter consuetudinem et morem majorum fiunt
- Quae rerum natura prohibentur
- Quaecumque intra rationem legis inveniuntur
- Quaelibet concessio fortissime contra donatorem interpretanda est
- Quaelibet jurisdictio cancellos suos habet
- Quaeras de dubiis
- Quaerens non invenit plegium
- Qualibet paena corporalis
Full browser ?
- Quadro Comunitario di Sostegno
- Quadro Geral de Distribuição
- Quadro Strategico Nazionale
- Quadrophonic Mixer
- Quadros por Segundo
- Quadros, Janio
- Quadros, Jânio
- Quadros, Jânio da Silva