Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
Its impact was so devastating, and the consequent rebuilding of the union under communist leadership so impressive, that the earlier defeat suffered by the wharfies in 1917 tends to shade into obscurity.
By contrast, the process by which the Melbourne wharfies rid themselves of the dreaded National Service Bureau, set up by the Federal Government in 1917, thereby also ridding themselves (or at least nullifying the influence of) the scabs it recruited, has not been established.
She mentions elsewhere in her narrative that the Melbourne wharfies took strike action in 1919:
Joe McGinness and fellow wharfie Joe Guivarra, Gladys O'Shane, a member of the WWF Women's Committee, and pensioner Harold Jackson described as a 'courageous fighter for his people' were reported as comprising the inaugural executive.
Queensland cane-cutters and wharfies seemed more open to new ideas, and more attracted to communist ideology than labourers in other parts of rural Australia.
A tradition of union militancy meant that wharfies valued the power of organised labour and the strike weapon to gain and maintain working conditions.
The Bastard Boys is a four-part ABC miniseries (33) funded by the Film Finance Corporation that stars Jack Thompson as a wharfie and Geoff Morrell as Patrick Corporation's Chris Corrigan.
34) Concetta Fierravanti-Wells, quoted in Michael Bodey, 'Bias fears over ABC wharfie war series', The Australian, 12 August 2006, http://www.
Zubrycki refers to this heritage in Kemira's opening scenes sourced from Hewers of Coal, a 1956 film that the wharfies made for the Miners' Federation, and the Eddie Allison film Coaldust (1946).
Every time I see a group of seagulls sitting--I used to drive him to work and he'd say to me, `Hazel, that's the dead wharfies having a meeting'.
When they say if it starts to rain the wharfies stop work, they don't realise that the wharfies are walking around on slippery, dangerous decks and they need to stop work.
Legal browser ?
- Welsh Assembly
- Welsh mortgage
- Welsh v. United States
- Wesley, Carter Walker
- West Coast Hotel Co. v. Parrish
- West Legal Directory
- West Saxon Lage
- Westminster Hall
- Westminster, First Statute of
- Westminster, Second Statute of
- wet reckless
- What a man cannot transfer
- What does "counts" of murder mean?
- What does a petition for Order Striking Untimely Filed Claims mean?
- What is a codicil?
- What is the punishment for 11377 (A) and 496 PC?
- What is the punishment for communicating with prostitution?
- What is the statute of limitations for rape TX?
- What is ultra vires?
- What Shall Be Done with the Practice of the Courts?
- Wheaton v. Peters
- Wheaton, Henry
- When and where
- When does lease end/what are the obligations?
- When many join in one act
- When no time is limited
Full browser ?
- Wharf boat
- wharf rat
- wharf rat
- Wharfage Rates
- Wharfage Rates
- Wharfedale Family History Group
- Wharfedale Rail Users' Group
- Wharfedale Technologies Inc.
- wharfing out
- Wharton Alliance for Social Responsibility
- Wharton and Northern Railroad
- Wharton Asian-American Association of MBAs
- Wharton Brook State Park
- Wharton Business Legal Association
- Wharton Business Plan Competition
- Wharton Center for Applied Research
- Wharton China Business Forum
- Wharton Club of New York
- Wharton Club of Northern California