References in periodicals archive ?
Like the Lord High Executioner in Gilbert and Sullivan's Mikado, I too have a "little list" of self important individuals who have besmeared our city.
And across the parapet, I see the vision of African unity and independence, her body besmeared with the blood of her sons and daughters, in their struggle to set her free from the shackles of imperialism.
In Kyd's The Spanish Tragedy (1585), Hieronimo decides to keep a "handkercher besmeared with blood" to remember his son (2.
Later, though, Kastan offers an astute annotation of another passage that conveys Milton's republican convictions, this time on the modest majesty of Adam: 'in himself was all his state, More solemn than the tedious pomp that waits On princes when their rich retinue long Of horses led and grooms besmeared with gold Dazzles the crowd and sets them all agape' (ll.
face is to be foully besmeared with spit, and he is to be bound
It is a short return to Falstaff's blood besmeared doublet of the Gad's Hill prank where we may surmise a link between Falstaff's fraudulently bloodied doublet and the bloodied armor Hal wears on the battlefield.
When his hair has been shorn, his face is to be foully besmeared with spit and he is to be bound in iron chains.
be delivered from vile paper, so basely besmeared by hired hands
She emanated exceptional chilliness--her own unique chilly emanation; at night she besmeared herself from an assortment of individual jars, and these very jars themselves seemed to be cold: they chilled her face, benumbed her movements, glaciated the air around her.
It had resounded with a fake "pop" from the graffiti besmeared walls of the A-Train, traveling uptown.
Byron's desire to be Byron is a mad desire, a desire that drives one mad, since to incarnate (I use this word to call attention to the Christology underwriting both European theories of kingship and the proper logic of the name) Lord Byron is to do so all-too-literally, to be besmeared with "blood's unbleaching stain," or, if choice were involved here, an Imperialistic slaughter of the innocents (Childe Harold I.
They overturned gravestones in night-time actions and besmeared synagogues with images of crucifixes.
Legal browser ?
- Bering Sea Dispute
- Berle, Adolph Augustus, Jr.
- Berrien, John Macpherson
- Besaile or besayle
- beset with danger
- beset with difficulties
- beset with difficulty
- beset with perils
- besetting idea
- beside oneself
- beside the mark
- beside the point
- beside the question
- best behavior
- Best Evidence
- best evidence rule
- best of taste
- best part
- best people
- bestow by judicial decree
- bestow by will
- bestow in shares
- bestow on
Full browser ?
- Besloten Vennootschap
- Besloten Vennootschap met Beperkte Aansprakelijkheid
- Besluit Aanleg Energie Infrastructuur
- Besluit Aanwijzing Chemische Afvalstoffen
- Besluit Aanwijzing Gevaarlijke Afvalstoffen
- Besluit Algemene Richtlijnen Post
- Besluit Beheer Regionale Politiekorpsen
- Besluit Beheer Sociale Huursector
- Besluit Beheer Sociale Huurwoningen
- Besluit Bijstandverlening Zelfstandigen
- Besluit Bovenwettelijke Werkloosheidsregeling Onderwijspersoneel
- Besluit Comptabele Regelgeving Regionale Politiekorpsen
- Besluit Externe Veiligheid Inrichtingen
- Besluit Geldelijke Steun Huisvesting Gehandicapten
- Besluit Genetisch Gemodificeerde Organismen
- Besluit Opslag Ondergrondse Tanks
- Besluit Organisch Halogeengehalte Brandstoffen
- Besluit Rijkssubsidiering Historische Buitenplaatsen
- Besluit Rijkssubsidiering Restauratie Monumenten
- Besluit Risico Zware Ongevallen
- Besluit Subsidies Investeringen Kennisinfrastructuur
- Besluit Verwijdering Batterijen
- BESM computer
- besmirch (someone or something) with (something)
- besmirch her with
- besmirch him with
- besmirch it with
- besmirch one with
- besmirch them with
- besmirch us with
- besmirch with
- besmirch you with
- besmirched her with
- besmirched him with
- besmirched it with
- besmirched one with
- besmirched them with
- besmirched us with
- besmirched with
- besmirched you with