boyfriend charged with assault

Ask a Lawyerwhat's this?


Country: United States of America
State: Texas

On Christmas I had my boyfriend arrested for assault. However I decided to drop the charges against him. I do not want to testify against him if the DA decides to pursue the case. Is there an affidavit that I can sign that will let me not testify if the DA wants to the pursue the case, and if so does it need to be drawn up by a lawyer?


Normally no but try speaking to the DA--they have the right to continue to pursue the case on their own (even if you don't want them to) but if they feel this was a one-time incident and will never happen again--they may drop it; they want to make sure no abuse is continuing once you two are back together--
These questions and answers are provided by ©2000 - 2007 by, Inc.