breaking a lease

Ask a Lawyer


Country: United States of America
State: Florida

How can I get out of my lease on a apartment as I have found a house I can lease for one year and then purchase at the end of the year I have four months left on my current lease but have to act now on the house and can not afford to pay both?


Review your lease and see if it has any terms that may support you and in any case ask the landlord to work something out--many will do something for you in medical situations or other emergencies...if there are any problems you could try to point those out as reasons for leaving as well; finally most landlords actually will not sue for the amounts owing after a broken lease, though they may try to report it to your credit agency; you are only liable until they re-rent it in any case so if you can find someone to take it, that may also help...