cartulary


Also found in: Dictionary, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to cartulary: Chartularius

cartulary

a collection of charters or records, usually relating to the title to an estate or monastery; any place where records are kept.
Collins Dictionary of Law © W.J. Stewart, 2006
References in periodicals archive ?
G.23 century received by Wilton Abbey Wilton British Library Harley 14th century Wilton Abbey Cartulary Davis 1035 Wilton British Library, MS ca.
1320)." (170) This could be the booklet of the Manuel that was eventually bound into Harley MS 337, since, as noted above, the first fragment in this manuscript is a cartulary from St Augustine's.
It is surely the Cumbric equivalent of Anaugen, which figures in Old Welsh in an eighth-century witness-list from the twelfth-century Book of Llandaff, and in Old Breton in the eleventh-century Cartulary of Redon.
Von Schlumberger, Sigillographie De L' Orient Latin (Paris: Geuthner, 1943), and references to Queen Alice' Champagne campaign can be found in, Theodore Evergates, Feudal Society in the Bailliage of Troyes under the Counts of Champagne, 1152-1284 (Baltimore, 1975), Theodore Evergates, Littere Baronum : The Earliest Cartulary of the Counts of Champagne (Toronto, London, 2003).
It occurs only once in a cartulary by Charlemagne for the region of the Agri Decumates within the Upper Rhine and Danube, Capitulare de disciplina palatii Aquensis (a.
Later loans are, e.g., clergesse 'a learned woman' (Seinte Katerine 1225 and Ancrene Wisse 1230), grateresse 'a female grater' (A cartulary of the Hospital of St.
Business Contracts of Medieval Provence: Selected Notulae from the Cartulary of Giraud Amalric of Marseilles, 1248.
The second manuscript is a northern Italian illuminated notarial cartulary of the second half of the fifteenth century containing charters from a series of churches in or near Vicenza (Illustration 9).
The Athelney Cartulary, a collection of 490 charters, letters and legal documents, last heard of in 1735, was thought lost until an archivist discovered it by chance, hidden in a huge collection of material on a shelf in a stately home.
The cartulary of the priory refers twice to a place nearby called "le wrestlyngplace," and W.