cemetary misused plots

Ask a Lawyerwhat's this?


Country: United States of America
State: Florida

we went "back out to the cemetery after 12 years to "just check on our plots" and found that they have put someone else in our plots Back in 1993 Robert and I bought plots in the Veterans section. We were among the very first to purchase these plots. Not knowing what we were doing never having been exposed to such we paid our money for what we thought was 2 plots right behind the flag and the monument for Veterans as a package the saleslady telling us "now all you need is a casket and you are all set" ~ well it turns out our plots are actually over by the road ~ and no where near the flag or the monument. WE could not believe this as there was NOTHING there but dirt and a flag pole and the woman who sold us the "funeral package" said we were all set but for the casket ~ we elected to "wait on this" as Robert wasn't sure which one he wanted by just looking at a picture. (We actually put our paperwork away and then after 12 years we are back in St. Pete and decided to go to the cemetery and see our plots.) Well, were we ever surprised to find that someone else is in our "spots" and we are over by the road. In looking closely at our paperwork we find that they gave us a "confirmation" of yet 2 other spaces which are no where near these there are wrongly listed on our paperwork. The people in the office keep telling us "it was just an honest mistake" ~ I THINK NOT!! I don't know what we can possibly do about this ~ as when we sat down and they agreed to give us "$1,500 in compensation and move us to the Muslim (sic) and add the needed funeral services we are now back in debt to them to the tune of $15,000 ~ IF we go this route What is our recoursce


Based on what you say here, you could probably file suit against them (or at least threaten to do so) in small claims court or in regular court; filing in small claims court is easier and requires no attorney...you could try to collect all of the costs and damages that you suffered due to their behavior... You may also report them to your state attorney general's office.
These questions and answers are provided by WORLDLawDirect.com. ©2000 - 2007 by WORLDLawDirect.com, Inc.