References in periodicals archive ?
With regard to Divine command theory, Einstein relates, "I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own--a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty."
There are short sections, both on the prohibitions inherent in law and an exposition of divine command theory, where some inclined to an ethic based primarily on law may find themselves wishing for a more nuanced rendering of their position.
While Astell held a divine command theory, and gave priority to duty, Broad argues that she is best understood as providing a theory of virtue.
Lewis cites the Grenadian saying: "If you are not a Christian, then you must be a beast." Yet he does a superb job of defending secular ethics and critiquing religious morality: he discusses the Divine Command Theory (if God commands a certain kind of behavior, we must carry it out), the Euthyphro dilemma (is an action good because the gods command it, or do the gods condone an action because it is good in itself?), Natural Law theory, and so forth.
In addition, it includes detailed critiques of natural law theory and theological voluntarism (e.g., divine command theory).
The following tool may be suggested which we shall call the Labour Command Theory of Wage Differentials (4) Cost of production may be split into wages, rent and profit.
This essay shows three things: first, that we cannot comply with a command from God to believe in God; second, that God cannot command us to believe in God; and, third, that the divine command theory is false.
For Chapter 4, "Divine Command Theory Ethics," Kowalski first summarizes the horror film Frailty (2001) and uses it, along with the films Evan Almighty (2007), and The Boondock Saints (1999) as films that are "expressive of themes relevant to divine command theory (p.
For me, atheism is the rejection of unsubstantiated supernatural beliefs, especially divine command theory.
Part III then explores Kierkegaard's strategies for showing the moral limits of autonomy (whether individual or social) and sketches the Dane's own divine command theory of moral obligation.
But you won't find adherence to a divine command theory of meta-ethics among them." Christopher Hallquist rejoins:
Many students subscribe to the widely held view that what is good is what God approves of or commands and what is bad is what God disapproves of or forbids, known as the divine command theory of ethics.
Legal browser ?
- collusive action
- Color of Law
- Color of Office
- Color of Title
- Color or office
- Combination in Restraint of Trade
- Combined wills
- Combustio domorum
- comfort letter
- command theory
- Commencement of a suit or action
- commencement of action
- Commerce Clause
- Commerce Department
- Commerce, Electronic
- commercial agent
- Commercial Code
- commercial court
- commercial frustration
- Commercial Law
- Commercial Law League of America
- Commercial Paper
- commercial unit
- commissary courts
- Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment
Full browser ?
- Command Status Register
- Command Status Report
- Command Stock Number Users Directory
- Command Storage Memory
- Command Strategic Review
- Command Strategic Reviews
- Command Stream Interpreter
- Command String Interface
- Command String Interpreter
- Command structure
- Command structure
- Command Studies Advisory Council
- Command Supply Discipline Program
- Command Supply Management Data Bank
- Command Support Group
- Command Support Pilot Project
- Command Support Services
- Command Support System
- Command System Manual
- Command Systems Assessment Team
- command systems operation division
- command systems operations branch
- Command Systems Support Activity
- Command Systems Support And Readiness Section
- Command Tactical
- Command Tactical Information System
- Command Talking Language
- Command Technical Inspection
- Command Technology Issue
- Command Terminal
- command theory
- Command to Line of Sight
- Command Training Brief
- Command Training Package
- Command Training Team Indoctrination Course
- Command Transfer Processor
- Command Transmit
- Command Transmitter
- Command Transmitter Systems
- Command Ultrafine Lustre Paste
- Command Unity
- Command Upconverter
- Command Vehicle
- Command View Advanced Edition
- Command Visual Display Terminal
- Command Wire Improvised Explosive Device
- Command Word
- Command Work Information Management System
- Command Work Station
- Command's Standardization Office
- Command, Control & Communications Intelligence & Electronic Warfare
- Command, Control & Communications On The Move
- Command, Control & Communications System
- Command, Control & Communications Systems Directorate
- Command, Control and Checkout
- Command, Control and Communication Program Plan
- Command, Control and Communication Review Board
- Command, Control and Communications - Tactical
- Command, Control and Communications Evaluation Model
- Command, Control and Indication
- command, control and information system