credit card dispute, obtaining records

Ask a Lawyerwhat's this?


Country: United States of America
State: Virginia

I had a credit card back in 1999, I played it off through a collection company in 2002. Now I am getting a call from another collection company saying I now owe $1200, the original debt was $500. I have 2 checks proving I paid this company. I have contacted the company that I paid off to try to get the information on my account, at first they said they cannot give the information to me so I asked the company who now has the account to call them. The original company told the new company that one of my checks bounced, it didn't, I have proof of this. The new company told me to call the original company and get the information on my account sent to me. When I called the original company, they said they don't have any information on me. I told them they gave the information to the new company why can't they give it to me and they said they have no record of my account. What can I do to get this information? Sorry the question is so long.


Based on what you say here, you could probably file suit against both of them (or at least threaten to do so) in small claims court or in regular court; filing in small claims court is easier and requires no could try to collect all of the costs and damages that you suffered due to their behavior... You may also report them to your state attorney general's office.
These questions and answers are provided by ©2000 - 2007 by, Inc.