Mentioned in ?
References in classic literature ?
I instructed him to guide himself back by the rope, in case of failure; in case of success, he was to give the rope a series of violent jerks, whereupon the Expedition would go to him at once.
I was in the very first act of detailing an Expedition to succor him, when the cord was assailed with a series of such frantic jerks that I could hardly keep hold of it.
As soon as the rope was tied, the Expedition moved forward with that alacrity which the thirst for vengeance usually inspires.
We were herded together into a great room, fed by women who had not accompanied the expedition, and the next day we were parceled out among the retinues of the chieftains.
When he returned from his expedition and learned the story of my mother's fate I was present as Tal Hajus told him; but never by the quiver of a muscle did he betray the slightest emotion; only he did not laugh as Tal Hajus gleefully described her death struggles.
Thus our expedition was at the time of the dry season, when the great river and its tributaries were more or less in a normal condition.
Professor Challenger's reasons for secrecy may be valid or not, but we had no choice but to adopt them, for he was prepared to abandon the whole expedition rather than modify the conditions upon which he would guide us.
Captain Helding, standing in the midst of them, with Crayford by his side, proceeded to explain the purpose of the contemplated expedition to the audience which surrounded him.
Without recalling all the hardships we have suffered for the last two years--the destruction, first of one of our ships, then of the other; the death of some of our bravest and best companions; the vain battles we have been fighting with the ice and snow, and boundless desolation of these inhospitable regions--without dwelling on these things, it is my duty to remind you that this, the last place in which we have taken refuge, is far beyond the track of any previous expedition, and that consequently our chance of being discovered by any rescuing parties that may be sent to look after us is, to say the least of it, a chance of the most uncertain kind.
The work I here present to the public is necessarily of a rambling and somewhat disjointed nature, comprising various expeditions and adventures by land and sea.
It is difficult to do justice to the courage, fortitude, and perseverance of the pioneers of the fur trade, who conducted these early expeditions, and first broke their way through a wilderness where everything was calculated to deter and dismay them.
The introduction of firearms has rendered them more successful hunters, but at the same time, more formidable foes; some of them, incorrigibly savage and warlike in their nature, have found the expeditions of the fur traders grand objects of profitable adventure.
Legal browser ?
- expatiate on
- Expedit reipublicae ut sit finis litium
- expedited determination
- expedited judgment
- expeditious performance
- expel from the bar
- expel from the legal profession
- expend gradually
- expend slowly
- expenditure of energy
- Expensae litis
- expense of transportation
- expense outlay
Full browser ?
- Expedited Removal Process
- Expedited Response Action
- Expedited Safety Report
- Expedited Session Service Data Unit
- Expedited Site Assessment
- Expedited Task Order Process
- Expedited Transport Service Data Unit
- Expediting the Process of Experiments to the Space Station
- Expedition Assessor Accreditation Scheme
- Expédition Glaciologique Internationale au Groenland
- Expedition Leadership Style Analysis
- Expedition Medicine
- Expedition Medicine Sierra Leone
- Expedition of Humphrey Clinker, The
- Expedition of the Russian Navy to America in 1863–64
- Expedition of the Russian Navy to the Bosporus in 1833
- Expedition race
- Expedition ship
- Expedition Yachts International
- Expedition, Scientific
- Expeditionary Advanced Base Operations
- Expeditionary Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron
- expeditionary aerospace forces
- Expeditionary Air Base
- Expeditionary Air Base Group
- Expeditionary Air Control Squadron
- Expeditionary Air Defense System
- Expeditionary Air Mobility Squadron
- Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron
- Expeditionary Air Support Operations Group
- Expeditionary Air Wing
- Expeditionary Airborne Air Control Squadron
- Expeditionary Airborne Command Control Squadron