Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
Metropolitanism is evident in another sense in Elia's dual identity as essayist and trading-house clerk, figuring him both in terms of London's thriving periodical culture and growing economic and imperial power.
Elia's metropolitanism finally emerges through dialogue, carried out both within and outside the essays, with other fictive contributions to the London.
Yet beyond the narrative of the house's reconstruction by memory and imagination, the spell the country house exerts over Elia's Londoner is intensified by the metropolitanism behind this reconstruction.
The London's commensurate metropolitanism is signalled in "The Lion's Head" editorial feature, where "a few difficult northern words" (LM: v: 1) used in the Lyddalcross tale are explained for the reader's edification.
In the chapter on Ella, Treadwell sees his metropolitanism as "not so much a general aesthetic principle as a profoundly specific attachment to one city in particular" (218).
In Canada, historical debate has not centred so much on the degree and extent of market exchange but has instead focused on the relative merits of the staples thesis and metropolitanism theories of development.
Both Careless and his followers (9) base much of their interpretations of metropolitanism on the four stage model of urban development created by the economist, N.
Stelter contends that the concept of metropolitanism has served to illuminate the relationships between urban development and urbanization.
Such an approach, Davis reasons, recognizes that industrial manufacturing is not necessarily the major key to metropolitanism and realizes the importance of class relations, of change, and internal social structure.
Central place theory and metropolitanism tend to mask regional and local variations.
3) What was once a critical industry which prided itself on the recovery of 'lost' or neglected work, and which often resorted to large-scale and detailed histories, now tends to draw out themes and append individual works to such themes (cities, metropolitanisms, and oceanic themes being particularly prevalent currently).
Legal browser ?
- Metes and Bounds
- method of action
- method of attack
- method of business
- method of communication
- method of expression
- method of living
- method of treatment
- meting out
- Metre or meter
- metropolitan area
- metus timor
- Meubles meublans
- Mexico and the United States
- Mibilia personam sequuntur
- Micel gemot
- Michaelmas term
- Michigan v. Tucker
- microcap stock
- middle class
- middle distance
- middle grade
Full browser ?
- Metropolitan Water District of Southern California
- Metropolitan Water Plan
- Metropolitan Water Pollution Abatement Advisory Committee
- Metropolitan Water Reclamation District
- Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago
- Metropolitan Water Supply and Sewerage Board
- Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System
- Metropolitan Waterworks Authority
- Metropolitan West Asset Management
- Metropolitan West Capital Management
- Metropolitan Wilmington Urban League
- Metropolitan Wind Symphony
- Metropolitan Winds
- Metropolitan Wireless Ethernet
- Metropolitan Young Republican Club
- Metropolitan Youth Orchestra
- Metropolitan Youth Symphony
- Metropolitan Youth Symphony Orchestra
- Metropolitan, Municipal and District Chief Executives
- Metropolitana Milanese
- Metropolitano de Lisboa
- Metroport Meals on Wheels