References in periodicals archive ?
His best score was 93 with a 'bingo' NIGGARD, which means a mean or miserly person.
Fleecing niggard notables Nita names, I annoy a "Man of Legible Verses"--Sam!
Taken by generous victors to Halifax, his corpse was treated with those testimonials of illustrious merit which became his exalted courage, and the character of a people never niggard in their admiration of true patriotism.
Then beauteous niggard, why dost thou abuse The bounteous largess given thee to give?
(95) In contrast with the Garden of Adonis Spenser sets Acrasia's Bower, a place of fruitless lust and sterile sex, where "Art, as halfe in scorne / Of niggard Nature, like a pompous bride" (II.xii.50.6-7) condescendingly triumphs.
In Sonnets IV and VI, the persona enjoins the unnamed bachelor "niggard" to forgo the selfish "forbidden" usury of celibacy and to take up the sacramental usury of marriage:
The interpretation that Pound is talking only to himself does not account for the word "niggard" in the phrase "niggard of charity," containing a crypt word made paradoxical by Pound's thanks tendered for the kindness of a black soldier who made him a table (Canto 81, lines 66-70).
CD A stanza such as this, "But if the darkness finds the graves where we / Were buried under sillions of our past / Still pointing gloomy crosses at the east, / And thinks that we were niggard with our bravery, / Our ghosts if such we have, can say at least / We were not misers of our misery," seems pretty good to me.
And suddenly a new kind of language comes out of Faulkner's pen; descriptions of this hillman issue forth, a type all "of the same grudged dispensation and niggard fate of hard and unceasing travail not to gain future security, a balance in the bank or even in a buried soda can for slothful and easy old age, but just permission to endure and endure to buy air to feel and sun to drink for each's little while" (668).
but give us the grasp of thy honest hand, and warm feelings of thy generous heart, fifty, yes a million times sooner than the mean heart and niggard hand of the selfish cur that calls itself thy master" (183)!
pity now the poor belated wretch, The naughty niggard scorns to house from harm.
Answering Antipholus' question, 'Why is Time such a niggard of hair, being as it so plentiful an excrement?' Dromio replies: 'Because it is a blessing that he bestows on beasts, and what he hath scanted men in hair, he hath given them in wit'; Antipholus agrees wryly, 'there's many a man hath more hair than wit', perhaps an acerbic reflection on Greene's abilities.
Legal browser ?
- newspaper divulges job
- newspaper report
- newspaper world
- Newton, Huey Percy
- next friend
- next generation
- next in line
- next of kin
- next to
- nice appreciation
- Nient comprise
- Nient culpable
- Nient dedire
- Nient le fait
- night stick
- Night walkers
- nihil ad rem pertinet
- Nihil capiat per breve
- Nihil dat qui non habet
- Nihil de re accrescit ei qui nihil in re quando jus accresceret habet
- Nihil dicit
- Nihil facit error nominis cum de corpore constat
- Nihil habet
- Nihil habet forum ex scena
- Nihil in lege intolerabilius est
- Nihil magis justum est quam quod necessarium est
- Nihil perfectum est dum aliquid restat agendum
- Nihil possumus contra veritatem
- Nihil quod est contra rationem est licitum
- Nihil quod inconveniens est licitum est
- Nihil simul inventum est et perfectum
- Nihil tam conveniens est naturali aequitati
- Nihil tam naturale est
Full browser ?
- Nigerian Television Authority
- Nigerian Uniform Bank Account Number
- Nigerian Union of Local Government Employees
- Nigerian United Front Association
- Nigerian Universities Education Students Association
- Nigerian Veterinary Medical Association
- Nigerian Youth Association
- Nigerian Youth Environmental Network
- Nigerian Youth ICT4D
- Nigerian-American Information Initiative
- Nigerian-German Business Association
- Nigerian-German Business Group
- Nigerians in Diaspora Organisation Europe
- Nigerians in Diaspora Organization
- Nigerians United for True Democracy
- Nigerien Alliance for Democracy and Social Progress
- Niggantha Nathaputta
- Niggantha Nathaputta
- nigged ashlar
- niggle (with one) over (something)
- niggle about
- niggle about (someone or something)
- niggle over
- niggle with her over
- niggle with him over
- niggle with me over
- niggle with them over
- niggle with us over
- niggle with you over