References in classic literature ?
If we confine ourselves to facts which have been actually observed, we must say that past occurrences, in addition to the present stimulus and the present ascertainable condition of the organism, enter into the causation of the response.
Further, speaking broadly, the change in response is usually of a kind that is biologically advantageous to the organism.
1921; "Die mnemischen Empfindungen," Leipzig, l909), we will give the name of "mnemic phenomena" to those responses of an organism which, so far as hitherto observed facts are concerned, can only be brought under causal laws by including past occurrences in the history of the organism as part of the causes of the present response.
When an organism, either animal or plant, is subjected to a stimulus, producing in it some state of excitement, the removal of the stimulus allows it to return to a condition of equilibrium.
The first, or "Law of Engraphy," is as follows: "All simultaneous excitements in an organism form a connected simultaneous excitement-complex, which as such works engraphically, i.
Concerning the nature of an engram, Semon confesses that at present it is impossible to say more than that it must consist in some material alteration in the body of the organism ("Die mnemischen Empfindungen," p.
IF A COMPLEX STIMULUS A HAS CAUSED A COMPLEX REACTION B IN AN ORGANISM, THE OCCURRENCE OF A PART OF A ON A FUTURE OCCASION TENDS TO CAUSE THE WHOLE REACTION B.
Whenever the effect resulting from a stimulus to an organism differs according to the past history of the organism, without our being able actually to detect any relevant difference in its present structure, we will speak of "mnemic causation," provided we can discover laws embodying the influence of the past.
In this lecture we shall be concerned with a very general characteristic which broadly, though not absolutely, distinguishes the behaviour of living organisms from that of dead matter.
Their organisms did not sleep, any more than the heart of man sleeps.
The only difference between organisms which annually produce eggs or seeds by the thousand, and those which produce extremely few, is, that the slow-breeders would require a few more years to people, under favourable conditions, a whole district, let it be ever so large.
The person reading was a trifle different; one would have said of him that he was of the world, worldly, albeit there was that in his attire which attested a certain fellowship with the organisms of his environment.
Legal browser ?
- ordinary course
- ordinary course of business
- ordinary judgment
- ordinary manner
- ordinary run
- ordinary run of things
- ordinary sense
- ordinary shares
- ordinary state
- ordinary wear and tear
- Ordine placitandi servato
- Ore tenus
- Organ Donation Law
- Organ Transplantation
- Organic Law
- organic remains
- organization of a commercial concern
- organization of a company
- organization to aid the needy
- organize a corporation
- organized body
- organized body for charity
- Organized Crime
- organized group
- organized illegal activity
- organized knowledge
- organized labor
- organized observation
- organized refusal to work
- organized society
- organizer of business enterprises
- organizer of commercial enterprises
- organizing conception
Full browser ?
- Organised Trading Facility
- Organised Vehicle Crime Section
- Organiser Programming Language
- Organisesi Papua Merdeka
- Organisierte Kriminalitaet
- Organising & Managing Training Institute
- Organising Committee for the Olympic Games
- Organising Committees of the Olympic Games
- Organising for EU
- Organising for Fighting Unions
- Organising Medical Networked Information
- Organising Medical Networked Information
- Organismal Biology, Ecology and Evolution
- Organisme à But Non Lucratif
- Organisme Certificateur
- Organisme Conventionné
- Organisme de Coordination des Services Communautaires
- Organisme de Défense et de Gestion
- Organisme de Developpement de la Vallee de l'Artibonite
- Organisme de Justice Alternative
- Organisme de Liaision des Industries Métallliques Européennes
- Organisme de Placement Collectif en Immobilier
- Organisme de Placement Collectif en Valeurs Mobilières
- Organisme de Placements Collectifs
- Organisme de Placements Collectifs en Valeurs Mobilières
- Organisme Medico Social Vaudois
- Organisme National des Déchets Radioactifs et des Matières Fissiles
- Organisme Paritaire Agréé au Titre du Congé Individuel de Formation
- Organisme Paritaire Collecteur Agréé
- Organisme Pengganggu Tumbuhan Karantina
- Organisme pour le Registre des Intermédiaires en Assurance
- Organisme sans but Lucratif
- Organismes Environnementaux Non Gouvernementaux
- Organismes Génétiquement Modifiés
- Organismes Non Gouvernementaux En
- Organismes Paritaires Collecteurs Agrées