References in periodicals archive ?
There is one panhandler I often see on my way to work.
The campaign comes three years after the city passed an anti-panhandling measure and an August incident in which a man was shot to death after arguing with a panhandler, according to the Journal-Constitution.
And anyway, as McManus and other Minneapolis officials know full well, the last thing most panhandlers can handle is making a yearly trip to a government office to get registered and photographed.
After getting high with a friend, he slowly trods Uptown, pausing for encounters with panhandlers, an ex-girlfriend, fellow slackers and a priest, among others.
By attending to panhandlers, rowdy youths, and drunks, they argued, police could reduce serious crime and urban decay.
Charlie's not getting much sleep, and he looks it, In between waking reveries about his former boyfriend Chris (Matt Keeslar, a credible excuse for insomnia), Charlie prowls the city streets at night in search of a leather-jacketed stud (Samuel Ball) who "is fast approaching the flip side of sexy," In between chats with a sympathetic straight bartender (Josh Hamilton), Charlie vents his urban-queer frustrations at fast-talking panhandlers and the hetero couple upstairs who flaunt their sex life in his face.
By the end, he has identified a central contradiction that the city's policies miss: "Many of the men who are succeeding in living a `better' life through their entrepreneurial activity are panhandlers, drunks, addicts, loiterers, and possibly the mentally disturbed, as well as unlicensed vendors.
The Homeless Question] The po-lice sweep the homeless like rubbish of the street, garbage pickers and panhandlers sent of for Greyhound [c] therapy It's not a problem anymore Out of mind, out of sight On to other towns and cities for another drink of whiskey and another bite to eat
For many cities, the model is New York City, where Mayor Rudolph Giuliani's quality-of-life initiative in the mid-1990s swept midtown Manhattan of panhandlers and squeegee men--homeless men who aggressively offered to clean motorists' car windshields for money.
the bah-humbug burgher has been known to say to panhandlers on Portland streets.
Councilman Ed Thomas says he hasn't heard any complaints about hawkers or other peddlers or panhandlers who would be prohibited from soliciting on Denver streets.
Her heroes often find themselves scavenging on the margins of society: Transients like the ever-present panhandlers - some wily, some industrious, some pathetically desperate - discover ways to battle daily indignities with laughter and small acts of kindness; friends like Nan, "holed up in high-rise hell" and fighting poverty and diabetes, beat back the lure of suicide by simply sharing a conversation with a friend; and strangers like an unknown woman, falling to her death from the Barham overpass, realize they are unable to beat off the lure of suicide "in a metropolis gone mad, where the only politics is survival and success is measured in multiples of zeroes.
Legal browser ?
- palter with the truth
- paltry few
- pamper excessively
- panel of judges
- pangs of conscience
- paper credit
- Paper days
- paper hanger
- paper money
- Par in parem imperium non habet
- parade conspicuously
Full browser ?
- Panhandle Plains Historical Museum
- Panhandle Ponies Tallahassee Mustang Club
- Panhandle Producers and Royalty Owners Association
- Panhandle Professional Writers
- Panhandle Public Library Cooperative
- Panhandle Public Library Cooperative System
- Panhandle Regional Law Enforcement Academy
- Panhandle Regional Planning Commission
- Panhandle Research and Extension Center
- Panhandle Rural Electric Membership Association
- Panhandle Safety Training Center
- Panhandle State
- Panhandle State Bank
- Panhandle Telecommunication Systems, Inc.
- Panhandle Telephone Cooperative, Inc.
- Panhandle Transit District
- Panhandle Water Planning Area
- Panhandle Water Planning Group
- Panhandle Weed Management Area
- Panhandle Windstorm Inspections
- Panhandle, Texas
- Panhandle-Plains Higher Education Authority
- Panhandle-Plains Student Loan Center
- panhead rivet
- Panhellenic Association of Professional Translators
- Panhellenic Confederation of Agricultural Co-Operative Unions
- Panhellenic Conference on Informatics
- Panhellenic Council
- Panhellenic Federation of Journalists' Union
- Panhellenic Socialist Movement
- Panhellenic Socialist Movement
- Panhellenic Union of Biologists