receptor

(redirected from photoreceptor)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
See: receiver
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
The researchers also generated iPSC-derived RPE from a patient with ciliopathy, a disorder that causes severe vision loss due to photoreceptor degeneration.
Scientists at the National Eye Institute (NEI), part of the National Institutes of Health, report that tiny tube-like protrusions called primary cilia on cells of the retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) a layer of cells in the back of the eye are essential for the survival of the retinas light-sensing photoreceptors.
We usually classify photoreceptors into rods or cones only.
The new research involved reprogramming surviving non-light sensitive cells in the retina to convert them into new photoreceptors.
The team from the University of Edinburgh took skin samples from two patients and transformed stem cells - which can change into any cell type - into light-sensing eye cells known as photoreceptors.
The number of UV-sensitive and visible light-sensitive photoreceptors in each ME photoreceptor cluster varies considerably, but estimates from electrophysiological studies suggest that about 70% are sensitive to UV light while the remaining 30% are sensitive to visible light.
TEHRAN (FNA)- Using the gene-editing tool CRISPR/Cas9, researchers have reprogrammed mutated rod photoreceptors to become functioning cone photoreceptors, reversing cellular degeneration and restoring visual function in two mouse models of retinitis pigmentosa.
They enhance vision by absorbing scattered light and ensure survival of photoreceptor cells by delivering nutrients.
Disruption of the photoreceptor IS/OS junction was observed.
It is a novel, first-in-class small molecule peptide that is intended to protect key retinal cells, including photoreceptors, from cell death that occurs in a range of retinal diseases and conditions.
Five days after receiving injections of the ASCs, the animals were tested for photoreceptor degeneration and retinal dysfunction.
Photoreceptor damage was evaluated by measuring the outer nuclear layer thickness at 5days after light exposure and recording the electroretinogram (ERG).