References in classic literature ?
In the vignettes of the Bear-garden and the Swan Theatre, for instance, the artist has managed to throw over his minute plate a wonderful air of pleasantness, a light which, though very delicate, is very theatrical.
Anne, despite her love of and loyalty to Green Gables, could not help thinking longingly of Patty's Place, its cosy open fire, Aunt Jamesina's mirthful eyes, the three cats, the merry chatter of the girls, the pleasantness of Friday evenings when college friends dropped in to talk of grave and gay.
And, without thinking of it as beauty, the beauty of line and colour of Jerry had insensibly penetrated him with a sense of pleasantness.
Anglo-Saxon poetry depended for its pleasantness to the ear, not on rhyme as does ours, but on accent and alliteration.
The receiver of taxes had hitherto preferred to live elsewhere, but now I succeeded in persuading him to take up his abode in the town, holding out as inducements the pleasantness of the place and of the new society.
It is not attracted by the pleasantness of the valley, as a sheep or cow might be, but propelled by the steepness of the hill at the place where it is.
The woman's face seemed to grow quizzical, though the pleasantness did not abate.
When I came home from this journey, I contemplated with great pleasure the fruitfulness of that valley, and the pleasantness of the situation; the security from storms on that side of the water, and the wood: and concluded that I had pitched upon a place to fix my abode which was by far the worst part of the country.
This thought ran long in my head, and I was exceeding fond of it for some time, the pleasantness of the place tempting me; but when I came to a nearer view of it, I considered that I was now by the seaside, where it was at least possible that something might happen to my advantage, and, by the same ill fate that brought me hither might bring some other unhappy wretches to the same place; and though it was scarce probable that any such thing should ever happen, yet to enclose myself among the hills and woods in the centre of the island was to anticipate my bondage, and to render such an affair not only improbable, but impossible; and that therefore I ought not by any means to remove.
Trundle; the deaf old lady had fallen asleep in her chair; the snoring of the fat boy, penetrated in a low and monotonous sound from the distant kitchen; the buxom servants were lounging at the side door, enjoying the pleasantness of the hour, and the delights of a flirtation, on first principles, with certain unwieldy animals attached to the farm; and there sat the interesting pair, uncared for by all, caring for none, and dreaming only of themselves; there they sat, in short, like a pair of carefully- folded kid gloves--bound up in each other.
This observation lead Mosher and MacIan (1994) to conclude that for men's sexually explicit scripts, active emotions or pleasant emotions were sufficient to lead to positive reactions, while for women's scripts, pleasantness of script emotions was a necessary, as well as a sufficient, cause of enjoyment (Mosher & MacIan, 1994, page 109).
Consider a walking tour through Jamaica's highest mountain and find lush forest, sweet fruits, and birdsong; the pleasantness of rural life; and the rich taste of Blue Mountain coffee.
Legal browser ?
- plea bargain
- plea bargaining
- Plea in Abatement
- Plea in Bar
- plea in being elsewhere
- plea in rebuttal
- plead a cause against a third party
- plead for
- plead guilty
- Plead guilty to possession, CO
- plead in favor of
- plead one’s cause
- plead with
- pleading in a civil action
- Pleas of the crown
- Pleas poll
- pleased with oneself
- plebis dux
- pledge for the payment of a debt
- pledge of security
- pledge one’s credit
- pledge one’s honor
- pledge one’s word
- pledge oneself
Full browser ?
- Pleasant Valley Log Cabins
- Pleasant Valley Montessori School
- Pleasant Valley School District
- Pleasant Valley Secondary School
- Pleasant Valley State Prison
- Pleasant Valley Swim Team
- Pleasant View Baptist Church
- Pleasant View Christian Academy
- Pleasant View Elementary School
- Pleasant View Luther Home
- Pleasant View Retirement Community
- Pleasant View School for the Arts
- pleasantly plastered
- Pleasanton City Employees Association
- Pleasanton Community Concert Band
- Pleasanton Cultural Arts Council
- Pleasanton Foothill Little League
- Pleasanton Girls Soccer Association
- Pleasanton Girls Softball League
- Pleasanton High School
- Pleasanton Junior Football League
- Pleasanton National Little League
- Pleasanton Partnership in Education Foundation
- Pleasanton Schools Educational Enrichment Foundation
- Pleasanton Unified School District
- Pleasanton-Tulancingo Sister City Association
- Pleasants County
- Pleasants County Board of Education
- Pleasants County Development Authority
- Pleasants County Industrial Park
- Pleasants County, West Virginia
- Pleasants County, WV
- Pleasantville (disambiguation)
- Pleasantville Volunteer Ambulance Corps