prerogative


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.

Prerogative

An exclusive privilege. The special power or peculiar right possessed by an official by virtue of his or her office. In English Law, a discretionary power that exceeds and is unaffected by any other power; the special preeminence that the monarch has over and above all others, as a consequence of his or her sovereignty.

The term prerogative is occasionally used by writers of law to refer to the object over which royal powers are exercised, such as fiscal prerogatives, which are the revenues of the king or queen.

prerogative

see ROYAL PREROGATIVE.

PREROGATIVE, civil law. The privilege, preeminence, or advantage which one person has over another; thus a person vested with an office, is entitled to all the rights, privileges, prerogatives, &c. which belong to it.

PREROGATIVE, English law. The royal prerogative is an arbitrary power vested in the executive to do good and not evil. Rutherf. Inst. 279; Co. Litt. 90; Chit. on Prerog.; Bac. Ab. h.t.

References in periodicals archive ?
While Turp is undoubtedly a product of reasoned and logical judicial decision-making, the decision makes a case for the need to better reconcile the tension that lies between the entrenched status of the royal prerogative and the expectation of accountable government decision-making, particularly when the exercise of the prerogative affects sensitive, international issues like environmental protection.
The real question is whether the Constitution provides for a prerogative or whether presidents have to find it elsewhere.
The article begins with an analysis of the evolution of prerogative powers and the authority they afford the Canadian executive today.
If not for malice; and when you say something is a prerogative of mercy, it doesn't have a qualification, there is nobody that works for mercy, even with God, can you do enough good works to qualify for mercy even with God?
Nagpur (Maharashtra) [India], September 2 ( ANI ): Union Minister Nitin Gadkari on Saturday refused to comment on speculation that he was being shifted to railways, saying it was the Prime Minister's prerogative to induct and drop ministers.
The only way to stop parliamentary depredations, "patriot Royalists" avowed, was to restore the ancient royal prerogative.
This is therefore a good occasion not simply to respond, but more broadly to explore three important questions about early prerogative and administrative power.
In this JV, Infosys holds 70% while the rest 30% will he held by Saudi Prerogative Company (SPC).
Another reason for the arbitrariness of the monarch was attributed to the power of prerogative the monarch had: to take decisions without recourse to the law or parliament in other to meet emergencies; to cover the gap, in the absence of Parliament being in session and to bridge the gap in the law where it was silent on any issue.
That is his prerogative - just as it is Wenger's prerogative to tell Thierry Henry he cannot coach the under-18s if he continues to have a pop at the first-teamers on Sky.
Islamabad -- Federation of All Pakistan Universities Academic Staff Associations (FAPUASA) has said that the appointment of faculty members serving under Tenured Track System (TTS) on administrative posts is a prerogative of the syndicates of public sector universities.
ISLAMABAD -- Using his prerogative powers, Chairman Capital Development Authority (CDA) has created a post of Inspector Bazaar for special monitoring of weekly markets.