private sale of car, title issues

Ask a Lawyerwhat's this?


Country: United States of America
State: Washington

I opted into a contract with a private seller of a vehicle. I deal in cash only, I was given a copy of the registration and a bill of sale, payments, a clause in the contract is that the car may be repossessed if a payment is missed and arrangements are not made. I moved and the Sellers Son, came to collect payment. I then moved again, i have sent payment addressed to the sellers son since he had been taking the payments personally. The seller saw me on a trip to their town and repossessed the car, The seller told me they had reported the car stolen, how is this possible if i have the bill of sale. Because I deal in cash only, neither party has receipts or records of payment. If I have the bill of sale, isn't a theft report, a false police report and punishable as a gross misdemeanor? What would be my best avenue, as I would like to get my car back. ? There is also personal effects of mine in the vehicle being held .


The police will escort you to get the car if you have title--and based on what you say here, you could probably file suit against the other party (or at least threaten to do so) in small claims court or in regular court; filing in small claims court is easier and requires no could try to collect all of the costs and damages that you suffered due to their behavior...
These questions and answers are provided by ©2000 - 2007 by, Inc.