References in periodicals archive ?
all but one of whom had previously abused him when he was a quadroon:
(7) In this tradition, couples met at "quadroon balls" which reached their peak of popularity in 1805.
It should also be noted that this passage is taken entirely from Lydia Maria Child's short story, "The Quadroons" (1842).
The official Australian nomenclature of racial admixture never ventured beyond 'half-caste', 'quadroon', and 'octoroon', whereas in the United States a complicated nomenclature was able to precisely identify the degree of 'whiteness' of a mixed descendant to the seventh generation.
(26) Eleanor Early, 'Lives and Times of the Quadroons', Rhinehart and Company,(1947)<http://www.nathanielturner.com/livesandtimeso fquadroons.htm> [Accessed April 22 2006].
God damn it I wish the yellow octaroons quadroons and spittoons wd.
Census of 1850, the category 'Mulatto' appeared" (Azoulay 152), with quadroons and octoroons being "temporarily added in the 1890 Census" (Azoulay 152).
It has drawn on a wider range of historical experiences than those specifically encountered by Pilkington's mother and two aunts, for example showing the Sister Kate's institution in Perth for 'quadroons' although this only began taking in girls two years afterwards.
(27) A creation of American feminist abolitionist Lydia Maria Child, the tragic mulatta figure became well known through Child's "The Quadroons," published in The Liberty Bell in 1842 (anthologized in her Fact and Fiction, 1846), and her "Slavery's Pleasant Homes" (1843).
The Caucasian-appearing boys ("quadroons" like Sally Hemings) fight black kids who attack them for being white and white kids who hate them for being black.
Mnemotechnics and the moon are subtly linked, as Kande sieves individual recollections of her childhood and her later memories of New York (where she has been teaching francophone literature since 1994) as well as the collective memory of mulattoes, quadroons, octoroons, and heroes of mixed blood like Vincent Oge and the Chavannes, who were be headed in 1791 for claiming equal rights in San Domingo.
Legal browser ?
- putative father
- Putative marriage
- Putting in fear
- Putzel, Henry, Jr.
- Quadriennium utile
- Quae ab hostibus capiuntur
- Quae ad unum finem loquuta sunt; non debent ad alium detorqueri
- Quae cohaerent personae a persona separari nequeunt
- Quae communi legi derogant stricte interpretantur
- Quae contra rationem juris introducta sunt
- Quae est eadem
- Quae in auria acta sunt rite agi praesummuntur
- Quae in partes dividi nequeunt solida
- Quae incontinenti vel certo fiunt inesse videntur
- Quae inter alios acta sunt nemini nocere debent
- Quae malasunt inchoata in principio vex bono peragantur exitu
- Quae non valeant singula
- Quae praeter consuetudinem et morem majorum fiunt
- Quae rerum natura prohibentur
- Quaecumque intra rationem legis inveniuntur
- Quaelibet concessio fortissime contra donatorem interpretanda est
- Quaelibet jurisdictio cancellos suos habet
- Quaeras de dubiis
- Quaerens non invenit plegium
- Qualibet paena corporalis
Full browser ?
- Quadro Comunitario di Sostegno
- Quadro Geral de Distribuição
- Quadro Strategico Nazionale
- Quadrophonic Mixer
- Quadros por Segundo
- Quadros, Janio
- Quadros, Jânio
- Quadros, Jânio da Silva